Public policy provides the signals and incentives that direct the flow of capital across the global economy. Policymakers need to create policy frameworks that support investment in low carbon assets, enable investment in adaptation measures, and enact a just transition for affected workers and communities. They also need to ensure that investors take full account of the risks and opportunities presented by climate change in their decision-making.
Investors are a key influence on policymakers and, therefore, policy engagement by long-term investors is a necessary extension of these investors’ responsibilities and fiduciary duties to their beneficiaries.
At COP24 in Katowice, Poland in December 2018, a record 415 investors managing over US $32 trillion called on world governments to:
• Achieve the Paris Agreement’s goals
• Accelerate private sector investment into the low carbon transition
• Commit to improve climate-related financial reporting
The statement was initially launched in June ahead of the G7 Summit, and show-cased with an updated list of signatories at the Global Climate Action Summit in September.
The Investor Agenda partner organizations have also released a briefing paper outlining the key asks in the statement. You can read the statement and the briefing paper below.
Investors are strongly encouraged to use the statement and briefing paper in their engagements with national governments and the media. The founding organisations of The Investor Agenda can facilitate this outreach; please contact the Investor Agenda team if you wish to find out more about our policy work, how you as an investor can support it, and our plans for 2019 and beyond.
Sign the statement by completing the form below
Please complete the following form in order to add your organization to the list of signatories:
- Only institutional investors (asset owners and asset managers only) are eligible to sign the statement.
- Please proof read the name of your organization for any typos before submitting!
- By signing the statement, you consent to your organization being publicly listed as active under the policy advocacy focus area of the Investor Agenda.
- The contact person’s name and email will be held securely by the Investor Agenda team and not published. The contact person must be authorized to sign on to the statement on behalf of their organization.